Tina O’Brien, 35, joined the cast of ITV’s Coronation Street back in 1999, and over the last 20 years, her character has become intertwined in a number of dramatic storylines. But earlier this year, the actress revealed her life off-screen isn’t problem free. Back in January, she revealed her secret battle with postnatal depression following the birth of her daughter Scarlett, 10 years ago.
I wish I’d had the confidence to ask for help. Life felt pretty dark for a little while
Taking on the 10 Year Challenge on Instagram, where people share a picture of themselves in the present next to an image from 10 years ago, Tina shared a snap of herself and her daughter.
The actress shared one image with her daughter as a baby, and a more recent image of her and Scarlet.
She wrote: “#10yearchallenge wouldn’t be complete without my incredible 10 year old daughter. I wish I could tell the scared and fragile Tina of 10 years ago it’s going to be ok, you will get through this.
“I had very bad post natal depression even looking at the pic on the left reminds me how bad it was and that makes me so sad.
“I wish I’d had the confidence to ask for help. Life felt pretty dark for a little while. Luckily the dark days eventually lifted.
“I was then a single mum, times when absolutely no income was coming in. I’d be lying if I said it was easy.”
The star, who recently married long-term boyfriend Adam Crofts, added: “2009 was a tough year. But to get through things sure as hell makes you stronger.
“To some incredible highs, great opportunities and jobs have come along. I’ve met some wonderful people who are still in my life. All the while caring for, loving and watching my beautiful, kind little girl grow in front of my eyes.
“Feeling in a very wonderful place in 2019 married to the most caring and incredible man I could ever wish to have met.
“Sometimes I still can’t believe you picked me @adamcrofts I feel so loved and I feel so bloody grateful to be a part of our little family. I’ll never take any of it for granted I promise.”
Tina split with Scarlett’s father, Ryan Thomas, just before her first birthday.
What is postnatal depression
Postnatal depression is a type of depression that many parents experience after having a baby, state the NHS.
It explains: “It’s a common problem, affecting more than one in every 10 women within a year of giving birth. It can also affect fathers and partners.
“It’s important to seek help as soon as possible if you think you might be depressed, as your symptoms could last months or get worse and have a significant impact on you, your baby and your family.
“With the right support, which can include self-help strategies and therapy, most women make a full recovery.”
Symptoms of postnatal depression
The health body lists 12 symptoms associated with the condition:
- A persistent feeling of sadness and low mood
- Loss of interest in the world around you and no longer enjoying things that used to give you pleasure
- Lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
- Trouble sleeping at night and feeling sleepy during the day
- Feeling that you’re unable to look after your baby
- Problems concentrating and making decisions
- Loss of appetite or an increased appetite (comfort eating)
- Feeling agitated, irritable or very apathetic (you “can’t be bothered”)
- Feelings of guilty, hopelessness and self-blame
- Difficulty bonding with your baby with a feeling of indifference and no sense of enjoyment in their company
- Frightening thoughts – for example, about hurting your baby; these can be scary, but they’re rarely acted upon
- Thinking about suicide and self-harm
If you experience any of these symptoms, speak to your GP.
Another Coronation Street star who’s spoken about her health in the past is Kym Marsh.
Source: Read Full Article