Need a quick meal? Try these healthy recipes that cook in a flash.
Grilled snapper with capsicum sauce
– 2 pieces sea bass or snapper fillets
– 1 jar roasted capsicum
– ½ tsp cayenne pepper
– 1 garlic clove
– 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbs red wine vinegar
– ½ tsp cumin
1. To make the sauce, combine the capsicum, cayenne, garlic, oil, vinegar and cumin in a blender and purée until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Lightly oil a pan and heat it on medium high. Season the flesh side of the fillets with salt and pepper to taste. Place them skin-down on the hot pan. Cook until the skins are lightly charred and crispy (four to five minutes). Turn them over and cook for another two to three minutes. When they’re done, the fish should flake with gentle pressure from your fingertip. Top with sauce and serve immediately with roasted potatoes and sautéed spinach and garlic
Savory Prawn Penne
56g penne pasta
12 to 14 medium precooked peeled prawns
2 tbs crumbled Gorgonzola
3 cups chopped baby spinach
1 tomato, chopped
2 tbs chopped walnuts
3 tbs ready-made pesto
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add prawns, cheese, spinach, tomato, walnuts, and pesto, stirring well to help wilt the spinach and distribute the pesto.
Thai Chicken Salad
300g lean chicken breast, preferably organic
2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved and sliced
½ red capsicum, sliced
½ yellow capsicum, sliced
½ red onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 bunch mint leaves, chopped
roasted cashew nuts to serve (optional)
juice of 2 limes
2 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs honey
2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
1. Cook chicken breast in a hot, non-stick frying pan until done. This should take a few minutes each side, depending on thickness of the chicken.
2. Combine rest of ingredients (excluding nuts). Slice up chicken and add to salad.
3. Mix dressing ingredients and toss through salad. Garnish with roasted cashews, dig in and enjoy.
Pesto goat cheese mini pizzas
Prepare for the glitzy red-carpet arrivals with these show-stealing min-pizzas. The kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and goat cheese bring the glam and the English muffins keep the kilojoule count low. They might look hard to make but you can prepare them in just 10 minutes!
Serves 4. Prep: 5min. Cook: 5min.Total: 10min
2 tbs basil pesto
2 English muffins, split
4 tbs goat cheese
2 tbs chopped green or kalamata olives
4 jarred or canned artichoke hearts, quartered
1. Divide the pesto among the four muffin halves, and then add the other three ingredients. Place the muffins on a baking sheet and bake at 250oC for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bottoms are slightly crisp.
Faux fried chicken
500g chicken tenderloins or skinless breast, cut into thin strips
3 tbs Dijon mustard
2½ cups cornflakes
2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
BBQ or honey-mustard sauce (optional)
1 Line a tray with baking paper and spray with a little oil. Using a pastry brush, coat each piece of chicken with Dijon mustard.
2 In a food processor or blender, combine the cornflakes, sage, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Process to a coarse meal and transfer to a shallow dish. Coat each chicken strip in the cornflake mixture until evenly coated.
3 Place on tray and bake at 200°C until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce, if desired.
Upbeat meat Chicken is a great source of amino acid tyrosine, which boosts your brain’s levels of feel-good hormones, ups your energy levels and helps you deal with stress.
SERVES 4 Per serve 711kJ, 0.5g fat (0g sat fat), 15g carbs, 1g fibre, 27g protein, 360mg sodium
No need to give up pasta – try this healthy, fibre-rich dinner. The herb basil has a reputation of easing a variety of digestive disorders, especially gas.
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups torn baby spinach leaves
1 tsp chopped basil
1 cup cooked wholemeal pasta
2 tbs shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
Heat oil in pan. Add nuts and toast for 3 minutes. Add garlic, spinach and basil; season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning. Toss with the pasta and cheese.
Source: Read Full Article